Safety Tips from our Police Department:
New Year’s Eve Tips:
- Celebrate safely: Don’t participate in celebratory gunfire. The act of pointing a gun towards the sky and firing shots into the air to commemorate an event or holiday is unsafe and against the law. In Atlanta, anyone caught firing a gun into the air could be charged with a misdemeanor and face a fine of up to $1,000.
- Prevent crime: Don’t make it easy for criminals to break into your vehicle by keeping your car clean. Follow the Atlanta Police Department’s Clean Car Campaign by removing all valuables including purses, cell phones, GPS navigation systems, laptops, tablet computers, firearms and other valuables from unattended vehicles.
- Plan ahead: Consider taking MARTA to events, or carpooling, to minimize the traffic volume expected in Downtown and Midtown Atlanta.
- Park Smart: Be mindful of parking only in permitted lots and be sure to pay attention to any “No Parking” signs to avoid citations or fines. Violators are also subject to having their vehicles towed and impounded. Also, be aware of possible road or lane closures due to events to plan your outings with minimal disruptions.
- Don’t Drink and Drive: Designate a driver, use MARTA, take a cab or utilize other modes of transportation.
- Citizens are also encouraged to be aware of surroundings, and call 9-1-1 to report any suspicious activity. Remember the Department’s “See Something, Say Something” campaign to encourage vigilance for criminal activity.